I landed in Japan!! As soon as that plane landed, I wanted to burst out of that plane and hug all the Japanese people in the airport!  At the same time, I felt totally out of my groove.  The flight was fricken long, and walking through the airport seemed a bit intimidating.  I couldn’t read anything and I also lost the crowd that I was supposed to follow.  There was English on all the signs, but for some reason, I felt incredibly unconfident my abilities to find my way.  On top of all that un-confidence, I was afraid that my ride would forget to pick me up.
Luckily, they picked me up!  Everything went in my favor on that day.  I made two friends, one at the airport and one in the plane!  The guy who sat next to me was incredibly nice.  He was a US Marine headed for his assignment in Okinawa.  The guy I met in the airport was a local Japanese man from Maui.  He had just arrived from Thailand and was getting on a plane headed to Hawaii.  Going through all the pass points were great as well!  I didn’t have any problems at the passport part or customs.  The customs officer just looked at my papers and let me through.  I didn’t have to go through a ridiculous search in the middle of nowhere, thanks to the Yakkan Shoumei!.
When I reached the main lobby of the airport, I got a nice big greeting from Kimiko, a good friend that was sent to pick me up!  I felt so relieved and happy that somebody came. Soon after that, Sadie greeted me, a girl I’ve been very good friends with since two years ago on our previous trip to Japan.
There were so many things that were interesting on my first day.  There was a push cart that would not move unless you pushed down on the handle bar in the back.  When you release the cart thing, it would hit its brakes. 
There were also these small pole-like barrier things outside of the airport.  It was similar to the poles that you would see outside of Walmart’s doors, but different in one aspect; they were like that thing in Kung fu Panda.  If you were to kick it, it would recoil back to you.  The elevators also never had any air conditioners.  All of them were like ovens collecting heat.  The heat in Japan was absolutely ridiculous.

After leaving the airport, we left for Taku’s house.  My Japanese kalabash brother!  It took four and a half hours to drive from the airport to his house.  When we got to Taku’s house, I immensely thanked Kimiko.  A four hour drive is ridiculous!

Many people came to see Sadie and me on my first day in Japan!  I got to see Taku’s family, Taku’s uncle and cousin, the friends I made from two years ago, and a few new faces.  It was really nice!  We all got to eat sushi.  It was absolutely healthy.  Luckily for me, it was delicious!!!
Taku’s house was as homey as it was when I left it in 2010.  It was a great time reminiscing with old friends, and it was even greater to see my Japanese family, the Otani’s.  It was an awesome beginning to an epic adventure
8/27/2012 05:14:30 pm

I know how you feel about the not being able to read the signs. There were also many times when I would walk into a grocery store to buy something and the cashier would start their customer service speech to me. Without being rude, I would just smile and make like I knew what was being said and finish it off my saying arigato gozaimasu. Then I would book it out of the store before I made a fool of myself.

9/12/2012 03:19:58 am

Lol. I still can't understand what most of the cashier people say. There was a time where I did the same thing you did. I ended up with no grocery bags. You got lucky!

Comments are closed.

    Keli'i Scholar

    An old friend and family member of Taku and the Otani family.


    August 2012